Broken Yolk Sandwiches
2 ciabatta rolls, halved, buttered and toasted***If you don’t have a panini press, try toasting them in a nonstick pan.
4 ounces smoked salmon, lightly flaked with a fork
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
Butter, for frying the eggs (I use about 1 tablespoon.)
2 Eggland’s Best Eggs
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a frying pan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter.
2. Add the maple syrup and brown sugar, stirring to dissolve.
3. Add the smoked salmon to the pan, and lightly toss to coat with the glaze.
4. Continue cooking until the glaze reduces and is thickened, about 5-6 minutes or so, stirring occasionally.
5. Meanwhile, in a separate frying pan, melt butter.
6. Gently crack the eggs into the pan and cook over medium heat until the whites are opaque, a minute or two.
7. Flip the eggs over to cook through (but the yolks should still be runny), about 30 seconds.
8. Place the smoked salmon mixture on ciabatta roll, top with one egg, and top with the other half of the ciabatta roll.